I don’t know about you, but I feel helpless about the Ebola outbreak that is devastating West Africa and I want to know what I can do to help. We actually can be part of the solution by selecting high quality organizations to give money to so these NGOs can work to stop the virus’ spread and care for those affected.
1. Doctors Without Borders currently operates a 64-bed Ebola treatment center in Sierra Leone, the epicenter of the epidemic. By making a donation, you’ll also help them train healthcare workers throughout the region and support partners working in Liberia.
2. Partners in Health Clearly know that what is necessary to stop this epidemic is “Staff, Stuff and Systems” and they are spot on! http://www.pih.org
3. Samaritan’s Purse, one of the primary organizations working on the ground to combat the Ebola virus, provides direct patient care in Liberia. You can support their lifesaving efforts here.
4. Africare is shipping more than $525,000 of protective equipment to healthcare workers in Western Africa this week. Donate here to help them outfit healthcare workers with the supplies and gear they need to safely treat patients and prevent the spread of Ebola.
5. Project C.U.R.E. is working with partners to send critically needed medical supplies to Western Africa. They’re collecting financial contributions to support their efforts and accepting in-kind donations of medical supplies from hospitals, medical manufacturers and wholesale distributors.
6. The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team creates the accurate maps and data that organizations like Doctors Without Borders rely on to physically locate communities in need, coordinate field teams and create data visualizations of the spread of the disease. Visit their Ebola page for more information and to make a donation.
7. ActionAid works on the ground in Western Africa to train volunteers and educate communities about Ebola prevention. Support their awareness efforts here.
8. UNICEF has partnered with the Ministries of Health in seven West African countries to share vital Ebola-prevention information. By donating to UNICEF, you’ll also help deliver prevention supplies like soap and gloves to affected countries.
9. The American Red Cross has deployed specialists to support a health team in Sierra Leone working to curb the spread of the Ebola virus. Support them as they continue to provide technical and financial assistance to teams in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.
10. MAP International provides protective gear to healthcare workers treating patients with Ebola. Just yesterday, they prepared a shipment of 5,600 suits to be airlifted to Liberia. Help them give more healthcare workers the equipment they need.
11. Last Mile Health provides support to medical professionals on the front lines of the epidemic. A donation will support their efforts to train and equip Liberian health workers in rural areas.