165 SQE7M.Em .55Officials investigating a carbon monoxide leak at a New York mall are concentrating on the heating system of the restaurant where a manager was found dead by police responding to an unrelated call. More than two dozen other people were sent to hospitals following the leak Saturday inside the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island.

The restaurant is located in a detached building that is part of the mall, which remained open. Four ambulance personnel and three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the complex, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. When rescue workers arrived at the scene they started to feel lightheaded and nauseated and suspected a carbon monoxide leak. All of those affected by the fumes were restaurant employees, police or ambulance workers.

Police are inspecting the heating system and this incident seems to be confined to the basement area. It does not appear to have made it in the area of the restaurant where the customers were. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and can lead to death by suffocation.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/02/22/us/ap-us-carbon-monoxide-mall.html?hp&_r=0