After any disaster how do you let people know you are OK? Your family and friends will be worried sick and you need to have a way to let them know that you are safe and well. This brings everyone great peace of mind.
The American Red Cross has a website – Safe and Well – that is designed to help make that communication easier. It does require access to the Internet but even after a major regional event, that will likely be possible in hours or days.
Registration: Register yourself as “Safe and Well” on the website. It is simple to click on the “List Myself as Safe and Well” button to register yourself and your status at time of disaster. You will be asked a variety of questions confirming your identity and then it gives you a pull down menu with the following options:
- I am safe and well.
- Family and I are safe and well.
- Currently at shelter.
- Currently at home.
- Currently at friend/family member/neighbor’s house.
- Currently at a hotel.
- Will make phone calls when able.
- Will email when able.
- Will mail letter/postcard when able.
- I am safe and in the process of evacuating.
- I have evacuated and I am safe.
- I am evacuating to a Shelter.
- I am evacuating to the house of a family member/friend
- I am currently/remaining at home.
Searching for Loved Ones: Concerned family and friends can search the list of those who have registered themselves as “safe and well” by clicking on the “Search Registrants” button. The results of a successful search will display a loved one’s first name, last name and a brief message.
Very cool! Share with your family, friends and your company and add to your business continuity plans.