My first thought…this is America’s Paris.
A horrific scene…a gunman goes into in a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando and killed 50 people and wounded 53 at around 2:00 AM early Sunday morning, in the worst mass shooting slaughter in American history. Law enforcement officials are calling it an act of terrorism.
Federal law enforcement officials announced that the gunman was Omar Mateen, an American citizen living in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
The killer stormed the Pulse nightclub armed with an assault rifle and a handgun — investigators were still looking into the possibility that he had explosives, as well — when more than 300 people were inside dancing and partying.
What Is Known
- About 50 people were killed and 53 were injured after a gunman opened fire inside a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., at about 2 a.m. on Sunday, the police said.
- Federal officials identified the gunman as Omar Mateen, an American citizen living in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
- The gunman was found dead inside the club, the police said.
What Is Not Known
- Whether the attacker was linked to any wider organization. Federal law enforcement officials are investigating a terrorism connection.
- Investigators were looking into the possibility that he had explosives in addition to an assault rifle and a handgun.
An good summary of the list of major mass shootings in the US can be found at the New York Times by clicking on this link: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/mass-shootings-timeline.html?ref=liveblog