A new mobile disaster preparedness app from the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) delivers checklists, communication tools and vital safety tips to prepare users for hurricanes, wildfire, severe winter weather, earthquakes and other disasters. The cost? FREE!!!!!
Of course as we all know, the best way to survive a catastrophe both physically and financially is to prepare ahead of time. But most of us don’t do it! The I.I.I.’s “Know Your Plan” app for iPhone provides us with a library of preloaded checklists to learn about important property protection and preparedness steps. Customized lists can also be built from scratch. Each checklist gives users options to set task completion dates, chart their progress and make additional notes for individual tasks.
Additional options include functions to share lists with family and friends. Also included are resources to help plan for an evacuation—including one for pets. In the event of a disaster, “Know Your Plan” incorporates a geotargeted emergency alert feed that guides users to up-to-the-minute information about local evacuation routes and other details about the disaster.
The launch of “Know Your Plan” comes as the busiest period of the Atlantic hurricane season gets underway, and the country continues to struggle with record drought and devastating wildfires. App features include:
- Fully editable checklist templates for:
- Severe Cold
- Preparing an Emergency Kit
- Evacuation (including Pet Evacuation)
- Plus a Make Your Own Checklist option
- User-customizable notes for individual tasks
- Option to set due dates for completing checklists, and a countdown feature to allow users to track their progress
- Built-in group function to let users share checklists with family and friends via email
- Google Crisis Response feed with access to local emergency information
Thanks to Stephen Baruch for alerting me to this very cool app!